Harvard Law School Professior and former Brazilian Minister of Strategic Affairs Robert Mangabeira Unger puts forth a harsh manifesto at the end of this video (6:10):
President Obama must be defeated in the coming election:Well, I thought the Democratic Party had already wed itself to a new orientation, but then what?
Unless he is defeated, there cannot be a contest for the reorientation of the Democratic Party as the vehicle for a progressive alternative in the country.
- He has failed to advance the progressive cause in the United States.
- He has spent trillions of dollars to rescue the moneyed interests and left workers and homeowners to their own devices.
- He has subordinated the broadening of economic and educational opportunity to the important but secondary issue of access to health care in the mistaken belief that he would be spared a fight.
- He has disguised his surrender with an empty appeal to tax justice.
- He has delivered the politics of democracy to the rule of money.
- He has reduced justice to charity.
- His policy is financial confidence and food stamps.
- He has evoked a politics of handholding, but no one changes the world without a struggle.
There will be a cost for his defeat in judicial and administrative appointments.Yes, the opportunity to remake the Supreme Court in a second Obama term would be lost, but don't worry about the cost being too high, Mitt Romney can be trusted:
The risk of military adventurism, however, under the rule of his opponents will be no greater than it would be under him.There is an upside, he prophesies:
Only a political reversal can allow the voice of democratic prophesy to speak once again in American life. It's speech is always dangerous, it's silence is always fatal.I don't know quite what to make of this. I will note that Roberto was born in Brazil and brought to the United States as a baby. His parents were quite possibly legal immigrants. But if they weren't, he would be protected from deportation under the President Obama's recent change in enforcement policy.